March Neighborhood Notes
Feb 27, 2014
CANADA DAY CELEBRATIONS –
If you are a business in and around Bentley, you will likely have received a letter requesting a donation towards the Canada Day celebrations and the fireworks. Cheques are to be made out to the Town of Bentley and can be mailed to Box 179, Bentley T0C 0J0.
A separate fund has been set up that will be used strictly for this celebration. Any funds left over will be carried over for the next year. Money jars are also located at the Bentley Shell, AG Foods, Blue Light Liquor Store and the Fish Over the Moon Liquor Store to drop your change – every little bit counts!!
A meeting was held on February 19th to firm up plans. Further information will be provided in our next newsletter.
RECREATION AND CULTURE BOARD –
During the election campaign, the desire for a Recreation and Culture Board was expressed by many people. In this regard, a meeting has been scheduled for March 18th at 7:00 p.m. in the Drop-in Centre.
It is imperative that you as community members, both urban and rural, attend this meeting with your ideas. This will be a community-driven committee and will have one Council member on the Board. If no interest is shown, the Board will not come to fruition.
We have a community with people (including our young people) who have many, many incredible ideas but you have to make that commitment to ensure those ideas are heard. This Board will allow you to do just that.
Please mark the date on your calendars and step up to the plate and be willing to serve on the Board.
BENTLEY’S 100TH ANNIVERSARY –
A great big “thank you” to Sherry Haarstad, Pam Hansen, Carrie Freeman, Tim Day, Derek Dickau and Lloyd Carefoot who have put their names forward to serve on the 100th Anniversary Steering Committee.
This group will be meeting very soon to set the dates for our milestone celebration. After that, many community members will be needed to help out with the various areas of planning. Further information will be forthcoming in the next newsletter.
FEBRUARY 11 COUNCIL MEETING –
• Dr. Smith attended the Council meeting to answer any questions regarding his tenure in Bentley. He assured Council that he would continue to provide services to the community for at least two years. Dr. Smith also assured Council that he would help in the search of a replacement when the time came so that our community continues to have a doctor.
• Further information regarding the Bentley & Area Recreational Multi-use Facility Committee was received for information.
• The Emergency Services Facility (Fire Hall) Joint Ownership & User Draft Agreement between the Town of Bentley and Lacombe County was approved. This lays out the responsibilities of each municipality regarding the ownership and use of the new fire hall building.
• Those Committee members noted above were appointed to the Bentley Centennial Committee.
• The Bentley Community Services Advisory Committee Terms of Reference were approved.
• The Annual Review of the Employee Salary Grid and Council Remuneration and Expense Policy received a cost of living increase of 1.6% which will take effect March 1, 2014.
• Discussion of resurrecting a Recreation and Culture Board occurred. As a result, the date of March 18th at 7:00 p.m. was set for a meeting in the Drop-in Centre to discover the interest of the community members.
• Alberta Transportation’s TRAVIS permitting system was approved.
• Annual Municipal Law Seminar information was received for information.
• Administration informed Council that snow removal on the arena roof cost approximately $8,500.
DATES TO REMEMBER –
March 11 – Regular Council Meeting – 6:45 p.m.
March 18 – Recreation and Culture Board meeting – 7:00 p.m. – Drop-in Centre
March 25 – Regular Council Meeting – 6:45 p.m.
The public is always welcome to attend the Council meetings!!!!